Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 28, 2003  6:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Practical Singing

A few questions and musings:

What can we really do with science when it comes to singing?
Measure:
We can measure the frequencies, harmonics and intensities of our
utterances.
Organize:
We can identify, specify, classify and arrange the characteristics of
human utterances in ways that are, systematic, consistent, provable
and that can be communicated as with the facher and IPA.
Document:
We can make a record of our findings for purposes of analysis,
comparison and experimantation.
Experiment:
We can form hypotheses about the function of the voice and test them
to see if and to what extent they are true.

I admit my dubiousness about there being much value in applying
science to body function. We need to know how things work but we need
to know what to do more.

Isn't singing all about achieving the desired effect and isn't desire
subjective?

Regards,
Les

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22225 Re: Practical SingingLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Tue  1/28/2003
22245 Re: Practical Singinglestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Wed  1/29/2003
emusic.com