Vocalist.org archive

From:  patricia.m.smith@j...
Date:  Tue Jan 28, 2003  12:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)

I'm not sure what the deal is with soloists but we have friends in DC
that tell us it is big into choral music.

We've attended numerous vocal recitals in Chicago &, of course, the big
names draw big crowds to Orchestra Hall (sorry, CSO marketing, it will
never be "Symphony Center" to me) but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme
or reason to attendance for local vocal recitals. A lot seems to depend
how much the venue (i.e. library or church) pushes the event, whether the
event is tied in with a fundraising event & how many friends you
personally invite.

Pat

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:49:14 -0500 (EST) Karen Mercedes
<dalila@R...> writes:
> I just got off the phone with the woman who runs the concert series
> sponsored by Fairfax County Public Libraries. She told me that they
> are no
> longer auditioning singers for the series because they have had
> little or
> no attendance at previous vocal recitals in their series.
>
> What the f**k is wrong with people in this town? Not only do none of
> the
> classical radio stations play vocal music (except for the Met and
> Lyric
> Opera broadcasts once a week, and the usual fare at Christmastime),
> but
> apparently there's no audience for singers who haven't actually made
> it to
> the Met already. (Which probably also explains why all of our local
> and
> small regional opera companies have either died, or are dying.)
>
> Is this problem unique to the Washington, D.C. area, or is it
> endemic
> nationwide?
>
> Karen Mercedes
> http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html