Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Tue Jan 28, 2003  4:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Titze, was Re: The Coordinated Falsetto Between Chest and Head

At 04:17 AM 28/01/03 +0000, you wrote:
>--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, James <bandb@n...> wrote:
>> >Here is a set of interesting articles by Ingo Titze:
>> >
>> >http://www.ncvs.org/singers/colmenu.html
>
>Another interesting article is his "more on the messa di voce"
>(found at the same site) in which he notes that there are two
>distinct ways of performing it. The first way basically keeps
>a "legitimate" tone throughout the process. In the second way the
>voice first sounds "breathy - falsetto like." Titze concludes that
>it is more difficult, yet more beneficial to practice messa di voces
>in this second manner.
>
>John
..again a thousand thanks John. I've read all that with relish and
finally managed to save them in Acrobat. It has occurred to me
that some may not have Acrobat on their computers to allow
then to access this little gold mine.

A question about lip trills. I have found that lip buzzes done at
a soft level as Titze advocates, are the great way to start the
cords onto a good vocal day, however...trills... can't seem to
work out the difference. If I make my 'buzzes' to loud, I seem
to do a nasty at the cord level. His explanation of the lip or
nasal opening matching the pressure verses rate of flow, I find
very helpful indeed, BUT...trills... they sound to me as if they
do not fit the E times I of the buzzes.
Can you expand on this for me please. Thanks Reg.

emusic.com