Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jan 27, 2003  10:49 pm
Subject:  More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)

I just got off the phone with the woman who runs the concert series
sponsored by Fairfax County Public Libraries. She told me that they are no
longer auditioning singers for the series because they have had little or
no attendance at previous vocal recitals in their series.

What the f**k is wrong with people in this town? Not only do none of the
classical radio stations play vocal music (except for the Met and Lyric
Opera broadcasts once a week, and the usual fare at Christmastime), but
apparently there's no audience for singers who haven't actually made it to
the Met already. (Which probably also explains why all of our local and
small regional opera companies have either died, or are dying.)

Is this problem unique to the Washington, D.C. area, or is it endemic
nationwide?

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
________________________________
One must be something if one
wishes to put on appearances.
- Ludwig von Beethoven

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22197 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)norma bowensingerteacher85 Mon  1/27/2003
22200 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)Edward Nortonbelcantist2003 Tue  1/28/2003
22213 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)patricia.m.smith@j...  Tue  1/28/2003
22219 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)Margaret L. Harrisonpeggyliebman Tue  1/28/2003
22230 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)Elizabeth Finkler  Tue  1/28/2003
22252 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Wed  1/29/2003
22260 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Thu  1/30/2003
22264 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Thu  1/30/2003
22275 Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)Karen Mercedessingwiththespirit Thu  1/30/2003
emusic.com