Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Mon Jan 27, 2003  6:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Sinatra singer suggestions

"I am a Verdi Baritone who has a similar
tone and sound to Sinatra, and I am trying to go full time
with a tribute act."

Hi, Steve!

Always approach with great caution imitation another voice! There are healthy
ways of doing this. I've a close friend actively involved with this to such an
extent that the person he imitates was onstage with him last year and he also
was able to make a Carnegie Hall appearance as well!!

The only paradigm in which I personally know that musicians insist that singers
imitate the vocal tone of other singers would be in church choir music,
specifically choirs with directors who have nursed long on the bosom of "The
Royal School of Church Music"!! These choir directors, mostly keyboard people,
insist that their mature female sopranos imitate the sound of boy trebles. This
is unfortunate, but the RSCM folks are not about to have a Damascas Road
conversion on this subject and will fly hotter than a cast iron skillet on the
front burner of a gas stove if the suggestion is made.

When you do "Frank", you'll have to be certain that you're doing so in a way
that will not hurt your own vocal chords. I have always been told the man had
vocal nodules. You don't want to get them! I'll be the first to admit, that
when I'm not listening to a beautifully trained classical singing voice, I love
to hear "Old Blue Eyes", Judy Garland and Patsy Cline have a go at a pop tune!

Best of luck to you. Send me a private email and I'll see if I can pass along
the webpage/email addy of my friend to you.

Ed

emusic.com