Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Tue Jun 6, 2000  11:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] crossing over

In a message dated 6/6/00 11:53:04 AM, ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< I've never been able to appreciate Ameling's voice. >>

Admittedly hers is not the greatest voice of all time--when it comes to
"tone" there are lots of singers I prefer. It's Elly's interpretive gifts
(and her facility with languages) that are quite extraordinary.

<<She stikes me as the perfect example of a "lieder" voice>>

Exactly! Although she was quite good in lighter Mozart arias. I would have
loved to hear her sing Susanna, for example. She also excelled in oratorio,
particularly Bach. Hers was not a big, robust, full bodied sound . But that
did not keep her from being very exciting in concerts and recitals!

<<like Dawn Upshaw and Sylvia McNair. >>

AACK! I wouldn't go that far! Those two are indeed "pipsqueak" singers to my
ears. No warmth, color or dimension to the sound at all. But then again,
that's my opinion!

Judy

emusic.com