Vocalist.org archive

From:  Date:  Sat Jan 25, 2003  4:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cornelius Reid reference web page

>The only
>difficult I have with his approach is that it is not in line with
>present facts about vocal function.

>The names we give to registers is not important. The names that have
>been give to vocal registers throughout history is even less
>important because we seldom can know what early writers really meant
>by their subjective definitions.

This is precisely Reid's point. In the beginning, there seems to have been only
two names. And they may or may not have been accurate at all. He's simply
saying that too many layers and divisions and modifications of the terms have
come into play. The 20th century models are not his own understanding. Also,
he never makes the claim that these 20th century terms are based on sort of true
knowledge of vocal fucntion, as was explained in your well-written post. He
merely seeks to display the ridiculous extent to which the matter is confused.

Nick
http://www.opacodex.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22137 messa di voceLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Sat  1/25/2003
22138 Re: messa di voceJohn Linkjohnlink010254 Sat  1/25/2003
22140 Re: messa di voceJamestranquil2404 Sat  1/25/2003
22142 Re: messa di vocescharker <scharker@c...>scharker Sat  1/25/2003
22157 Re: messa di voceJohn Linkjohnlink010254 Sat  1/25/2003
22141 Re: messa di vocemjmoody2000 <mjmoody@c...>mjmoody2000 Sat  1/25/2003
emusic.com