Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Fri Jan 24, 2003  8:37 pm
Subject:  Re: The Coordinated Falsetto Between Chest and Head

Dear John and List:

Thanks for your comments. It's been pretty quiet this week - not
sure this is much interest in this topic so I will be brief.

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "mjmoody2000
<mjmoody@c...> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I think you are leaving out an IMPORTANT assumption in Reid's
> writing. The "di testa" is NOT head voice. Reid clearly states it
> is "FALSETTO."

John - in one of my posts, I wrote that Reid has inconsistent usage -
and in fact the whole concept of a "register" has several meanings, I
believe. In the places I identified and referenced, "pure falsetto"
coordinates with "chest" NOT to form "head voice" but to form
the "feigned voice", and the "head voice" is identified as "pure
falsetto". So I am aware of what you are saying.

But Reid is inconsistent, and that was one of my points. After all,
if "pure falsetto" is a breathy voice in the range from Bb3 to Bb4
(crossing middle C), then how come elsewhere "pure falsetto" is the
range above F5 labelled "head voice"?

I think I raised some other interesting issues, including whether
Reid views men as singing in head voice, and theories
about "universal" or "absolute" registration.

I worked for a few years for a famous mathematician, and he said
(perhaps repeating someone else) "All models are incorrect. Some
models are useful." I would regard Reid's theories as flawed, but
perhaps useful anyway.

Best wishes,

Michael Gordon

emusic.com