Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Tue Jan 21, 2003  2:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Some good news to share

Karen Mercedes wrote:

>We can be thankful for one less assault on our ears....
>Charlotte Church plans to ditch opera for a more modern sound.

For me, I am not thankful. Yes, Miss Church has her faults and I never
thought she should be taught to sing opera. Her favorite song was Pie
Jesu which was NOT an opera song. Webber did not write opera. Why Sony
decided she would do opera is incomprehensible to me. However I was
grateful that a label would allow a young person an opportunity to sing
classical music for the masses. Charlotte was a remarkable songstress in
lighter classical and inspirational music. Her jaw didn't wobble and
her voice was quite wonderful not singing opera. She also has a
effervesent personality that drew people to listen to her. I, for one,
have never sold ten million albums. That must speak for something.
Again, she has faults (don't we all) but I am saddened that she was
driven away from classical music by Sony having her do opera. We need
youth singing decent music to influence other youth to sing decent music.

But that's my opinion and there are many here who will disagree with me.

Dr Dean

emusic.com