Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sat Jan 18, 2003  5:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Octaves..my suggestion!!!

Depending upon how you number, it is either A0
>or A1. I learned from Elmer Bernstein in Julliard the first "A" is
>considered A0 or just plain A. The next then would be A1, then A2 all
>the way up to A7. If you want to take his word then middle "C" is C3,
>not C4. Piano keys on standard pianos start at "A" and end at C7.
>
>Dr Dean
That is as I understood the system as well. So depending whether
you include A0 or not, middle C can be known as C3 or C4.

Dear All....

The need for a supposedly better system than the Helmholtz, was
based on the potential confusion surrounding the use of UPPER CASE
and LOWER CASE Cs. It appears, as I suggest, that the remedy was
itself defective. I am now even more appalled to discover that the
designation begins at the C while consigning the A a third below to
the previous octave. I must say I was more than a little amused to
see that our wonderful Lloyd has also made an error. How much
more proof do we need that a revision is needed. :)

Regards Reg.

emusic.com