Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  10:03 pm
Subject:  Re: Head voice from falsetto.(Some more questions).

Dear John and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "mjmoody2000
<mjmoody@c...>" <mjmoody@c...> wrote:
> Anyway, neither Frisell nor Reid ever states that the falsetto is
lower than the head voice.

As for Reid, I believe there is confusion since "pure" falsetto is
alternately defined either in a low range (Katherine mentioned from
Bb3 below middle C to Bb4 above) or else is synonymous with "head
voice" for the female voice in the range above F5 (F above tenor high
C - see charts p. 86 and 91 in Bel Canto Principles...). The key
point however is that the low range breathy falsetto is viewed as a
device to help develop a "middle voice"/"coordinated
falsetto"/"feigned voice" that bridges chest and head.

> The reason I mentioned it in the first place was that Michael
Gordon mentioned
> that his low falsetto notes are truly false and useless sounding,
and
> I wondered whether we might actually be talking about the same
> phenomenon.
Indeed I think we are talking about the same phenomenom. Further, I
noted that while I have developed a "coordinated falsetto" I did not
lose the ability to produce the breathier useless version, and Reid's
writings gave me the impression that the breathy version just
develops into the coordinated version.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

emusic.com