Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison" <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  6:29 pm
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist] Octaves..my suggestion!!!

Leslie Christopher <leskayc@y...> wrote:

>So for what it is worth it seems to me that to begin numbering Cs with the
first at the bottom (or left) of the keyboard makes the most sense. Then you
always know where you are....

Assuming of course (1) that you have access to a piano keyboard or (2) that you
remember the layout of a piano keyboard or (3) you aren't confused by the
shorter than 88-keys electronic keyboard you work with a lot!

Like Naomi, when I'm writing to the list, or talking to my friends, I refer to
notes in relation to octaves above or below middle C. Singers' ranges are short
enough (compared to most instruments), that it's pretty easy to be clear enough
for discussion purposes. My problem with "C4" is I would logically expect the
octave numbers to start with the beginning of the alphabet (maybe because I also
played an instrument other than piano), so the B below "should", in my mind, be
B4, and having it "really" be B3 confuses me so much I can't ever remember the
rules of the system!

I'll add, at the risk of being contradicted, that in my instrumental life I
never a need to refer to this numbering system, because we simply referred to
the notation, e.g., B, 3rd line on the G clef.

Peggy

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com