Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  8:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Advice needed

> > Once again, if you try and imitate a vocal technique which is
>vocally
> > dangerous simply because you elect to admire that sound, you must
> > expect that some of the professionals singers on this list may
>disagree
> > with your values. It is NOT ridiculing you though.
> >
> > Regards Reg. (Sydney, Australia)
>
>Thank you for responding Reg. I never meant to imply that people were
>ridiculing me or rock, what I meant was for people to offer advice
>and not ridicule i.e. please don't reply saying rock is gonna destroy
>your voice because of this and that, I'm aware and accept the risks.
>That is why I do want lessons so I can at the very least minimize
>those risks. And I do to accept singing whoever it is, even if it
>does sound totally different to what one is used to hearing, a good
>is a good voice no matter the song.

Just a thought, Paul: Have you given a listen to some of the other great
NON-classical voices? I'm thinking of Ray Charles, Hank Williams Sr., Patsy
Cline, Aretha Franklin. Brother Ray certainly doesn't sound like an opera
singer, but his technique is such that he can still roar with the best of
them, even in his 70s.

When I started my classical training, I was singing almost NO opera, just
concert and church repertoire. But I've learned to handle that-- and a lot
of jazz and musical-theater stuff. An understanding teacher will probably
have you work on exercises, folk songs and art songs to get your technique
up to snuff, so that you CAN do all the growly rock stuff without hurting
yourself!

Liz

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
GO RAIDERS!
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

We all live in a place called "23 skiddoo." --John Prine