Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Anna Carina Sundstedt" <anna-carina@m...>
Date:  Tue Jun 6, 2000  3:47 pm
Subject:  La Traviata live on tv

Did anyone watch the live-Traviata? Well, I did.
I think it was an exciting way of watching an opera. Perhaps this is one of the
ways to make opera even more popular - also among people who tend to find it a
"snobbish" art.
I think the singers did a very good job under those
running-around-cameras-having-no-"alive"conductor-circumstances. Eteri Gvazava
(Violetta) was a bit weak in the first and second act, but in the fourth act
her "Addio" really touched me. She sings with such a naturality (is this a real
word....?) she looks so relaxed - must have a fantastic technique. She´s also a
good actor. José Cura is a wonderful singer, but I was constantly looking for
his Alfredo - I mean, his acting was not always that convincing - only when he
was upset - in 2. and 3. act. Perhaps this is where his Argentinian temper can
show it´s best :-)....who knows. Rolando Panerai as Alfredos father had the
perfect expression in my opinion. He´s not so young anymore and his voice
sounded & his acting was just like the experienced father who wants his son to
follow his advice.
I loved the choir and the orchestra....Zubin Metha is great.
The photographing was sometimes a bit strange....I did´nt like it when they
turned around Violetta during her "Addio"....but the garden-scene in act 2 was
fantastic.
A lot of technichal difficulties must have played a part - so all in all I
think it was a great production.
Any comments?

Anna-Carina
Danish Soprano