Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  6:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Octaves..my suggestion!!!

Cindy and Vocalisters:

Thanks for the information about use of the Helmholz system etc. I
would also like correct a very major mistake in my paragraph which
you quoted. My apologies. The corrected paragraph is given below.

Sorry there is so much confusion about the note placement system.
But the accepted system in the US and, as far as I understand it,
Europe, is to call middle C (which is the fourth C up from the bottom
of the piano) C4. The B below it is considered part of the octave
below it so it is called B3. All notes beginning with C4 (middle C)
up to the seventh note of the scale are designated with the suffix
number 4. In other words, an octave above C4 is C5 which begins the
next octave and all notes in that octave carry the suffix 5. etc/ etc.

It evidently was considered important to begin the process from the
bottom C of the piano keyboard.

Is this what most on the list understand the system to be?
--
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com