Vocalist.org archive

From:  "edsmed969 <michael.gum@d...
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  3:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Advice needed

I am thoroughly appalled at all the comments I see about 'ROCK'
singers .. I thought that musicians were a united comunity .. DO NOT
downgrade a person OR the style they wish to persue ... I myself
sing 'ROCK' music .. I see many posts downgrading 'ROCK' music .. I
think that all those who do should re-evaluate their own mindsets and
consider 'HELPING' not 'PREVENTING' a person from singing a style
that they like ....

OK ENOUGH RANTING ....

Dude .. here's my $.02 ... Study 'ALL' styles of singing that you
can .. ANY style that helps you sing correctly to prevent vocal
problems is a good style ... if you shut you mind off with a 'this
style good .. that style bad' attitude .. you may loose a wonderful
opportunity to discover a music that may move your soul as much as
the rock does .. Sooooo apreciate all music and style of
instruction .. learn all you can from everywhere !!!!

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret L.
Harrison"<peggyh@i...> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:30:43 -0000 "tragic1980 <tragic1980@y...>"
> <tragic1980@y...> wrote:
>
> > Hello group. This is my story. I am a 22 yr old
> > male wanting to get into singing Rock. I have a good voice and can
> manipulate it to sound
> > like many different artists. I know I need to
> > train my voice really badly, but as I started taking lessons, the
teacher
> was firm on
> > teaching me to sing classical. Now I have
> > nothing at all against classical, don't get me wrong it is a
beautiful
> style, but nothing
> > like rock that I can see of, or am I too naive?
>
> I'll start out with my caveats: I'm not a voice teacher, and I
don't sing
> rock music. I'm a classical music lover and singer. Before I
started voice
> study, my voice was not one that anyone would pay to hear, no
matter what
> genre I chose to sing. After classical study, I have the ability
to sing in
> about any way my voice is suited for. And I definitely can sing
popular music
> better than I could have before I started to study.
>
> In your case, you have clearly articulated goals, and that's great.
It will be
> a challenge finding the way to achieve those goals, because those
are not
> exactly the same as the goals most classical voice teachers are
accustomed to
> helping their students achieve.
>
> The ideal thing for you is a voice teacher with strong background
in classical
> vocal technique who is also conversant with the popular style. It's
like what
> I get with my voice teacher - we work on technique and style at the
same time,
> we aren't separating the ends and the means.
>
> However, a benefit to you of studying classical with classical
repertoire for
> a while is to learn for yourself the principles of classical vocal
technique,
> which will give you a basis to evaluate others you work with later
on who are
> primarily knowledgeable in popular styles. Once you and your
classical
> teacher have some basics "down" - you've developed a vocabulary
that works for
> communicating with eacher about effective vocal technique, you may
be able to
> bring in some rock pieces and work out together on a healthy way
for you to
> produce the sounds you'd like to be able to stylistically produce.
If your
> classical teacher is open-minded and adventurous, this could turn
out to be a
> great journey for you both.
>
> Peggy
>

> Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com