Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  3:58 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Advice needed

> He explained that once you learn classical you can sing anything.

I have some doubt about that statement. In auditioning singers for my
vocal quintet I've heard plenty of singers who were trained
classically that sounded absolutely ridiculous singing anything else
because they kept doing that classical thing. To make this concrete
imagine a caricature of an opera singer doing "Happy Birthday" or
Paul McCartney's "Yesterday" or any rock song that you'd like to
perform. Can it get any worse?

I think that once you learn to sing well you can learn to apply your
skills to any type of music. Find yourself a teacher who is open to
helping you improve your singing on the material you want to improve.
Of course that teacher will have you singing scales and arpeggios and
all sorts of exercises that do not belong exclusively to any one
style. But if a teacher insists that you a learn a repertoire that
doesn't interest you, find another teacher.

John Link

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21998 Re: Advice neededPaul sancheztragic1980 Thu  1/16/2003
22005 Re: Advice neededJamestranquil2404 Thu  1/16/2003
emusic.com