Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  12:14 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Advice needed

Michael G. wrote in response to me:

Diane: As I explained to him, what he needs to learn is a strong vocal
technique, and classical music happens to aid very well in that process.

Michael: Ok Diane - but is classical music the only music that can aid that
process?

+++Of course it's not the only music that can aid in the process. I simply
said that it "aids very well" in the process. And in my situation (teaching in
a college music dept.), the basic curriculum is classical music, and that's what
we primarily teach, though we do teach some other styles in addition (not
instead of).

Michael: Suppose a Sweet Adelines barbershop singer comes to you for lessons -
couldn't you work with her on her barbershop material? And in the process, stay
within the style that she wants to sing?

+++Of course. I do it all the time. But not within a college music dept.

Michael: If a student wants to sing rock - and being an old fogey myself I'm
not entirely clear what that "rock" means - aren't there "rock" songs that are
reasonable to work on for technique?

+++My work with rock singers, though limited, has led me to believe that they
would do well to establish a good solid technique before undertaking to sing in
that style. I admit I am no expert in this field, and don't feel the need to
argue or defend my position. I just offered an opinion.

> Just an aside, and perhaps to be devil's advocate - I have taken lessons
mostly with classical teachers, and at least in my case it didn't turn me into a
"classical" or "opera" sounding singer, but I'm not much of a rock etc. singer
either.

+++I believe you are supporting my point that studying with a classical teacher
can help you develop a good technique with which you can sing many styles of
music.

> ---
> Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
> 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> 901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
> dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21957 Re: Advice neededMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Thu  1/16/2003
21980 VOCAL HEALTH QUESTION--URGENT!!!!!Justin Randolphsneezy_1 Thu  1/16/2003
21982 Re: VOCAL HEALTH QUESTION--URGENT!!!!!John Linkjohnlink010254 Thu  1/16/2003
21985 Re: VOCAL HEALTH QUESTION--URGENT!!!!!buzzcen@a...buzzcen2000 Thu  1/16/2003
21996 Re: VOCAL HEALTH QUESTION--URGENT!!!!!Leslie Christopher  Thu  1/16/2003
21999 Re: VOCAL HEALTH QUESTION--URGENT!!!!!Elizabeth Finkler  Thu  1/16/2003
22002 Re: VOCAL HEALTH QUESTION--URGENT!!!!!John Messmer, M.D.singdoc_1 Thu  1/16/2003
22097 Just curious question....Justin Randolphsneezy_1 Tue  1/21/2003
22105 Re: Just curious question....Amanda Kelleymandasings Tue  1/21/2003
emusic.com