Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  12:02 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Head voice from falsetto.(Some more questions).

Dear Katherine:

I would appreciate it if you would once again describe the ranges of
chest voice and falsetto you indicated in your last e-mail and as is
taught by Ried.

According to your recent definition:

"chest voice runs from F below low C downwards".

From this I would understand that chest voice begins at F2 and
descends below that. Low C is usually defined as C3 and middle C is
C4. Are you suggesting that chest voice only occurs in the area
beginning at F2 below C3 and descends below that. This is the
lowest reaches of the Bass voice. These are notes that I, as a
tenor, cannot reach in normal voice

You also state:

"The "pure" falsetto has a basic range of B-flat to B-flat(crossing middle C)

From this I would understand that "pure" falsetto begins at Bb3 and
continues to Bb4 (again with middle C as C4. This is the range of
the male head voice and also the range of the male falsetto. It is,
however not the range of falsetto which is defined by Garcia and to
which Ried pays great homage and which he supports in his writings.

If these are the ranges you intended then you have not defined the
range from F2 to Bb3 which is within the normal range of the male
chest voice.

I am not trying to be disagreeable, just very confused
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com