Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Wed Jan 15, 2003  11:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Advice needed

Dear Diane and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
wrote:
> I had a new student today ask me why he needed to learn classical
music, when he really wants to sing jazz. As I explained to him,
what he needs to learn is a strong vocal technique, and classical
music happens to aid very well in that process.

Ok Diane - but is classical music the only music that can aid that
process? Suppose a Sweet Adelines barbershop singer comes to you for
lessons - couldn't you work with her on her barbershop material? And
in the process, stay within the style that she wants to sing? If a
student wants to sing rock - and being an old fogey myself I'm not
entirely clear what that "rock" means - aren't there "rock" songs
that are reasonable to work on for technique?

Just an aside, and perhaps to be devil's advocate - I have taken
lessons mostly with classical teachers, and at least in my case it
didn't turn me into a "classical" or "opera" sounding singer, but I'm
not much of a rock etc. singer either.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21968 Re: Advice neededCássio Ribeirocassiobribeiro Thu  1/16/2003
emusic.com