Vocalist.org archive

From:  Camila Ribeiro <c_ribeiro78@y...>
Date:  Wed Jan 15, 2003  11:21 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Irreverent quotes

Quotes:

"Singing is the most legitimate of arts; no one else
can put in a touch with brush or pencil for one - one
must face it alone." (Lillian Nordica)

"Sing with your voices, and with your hearts, and with
all your moral convictions, sing the news songs, not
only with your tongue, but with your life." (St.
Augustine - 354.430)

"But the singer must still have one thing: the
universal ground of all modd, the ability to apply
imagination to the voice, the ability to sing with
imagination." (Sören Kierkegaard - 1813.1855 'A
passing comment on a detail in 'Don Giovanni', 1845')

"Castrati: These men, who sing so well but withou
warmth or expression are, in the theatre, the most
disagreeable actors in the world. They lose their
voice at an early age and become disgustingly fat...
There are some letters, such as R, which they are
quite unable to pronounce." (Jean-Jacques Rousseau -
1712.1778, Dictionnaire de Musique)"

"A singer able to sing so much as sixteen bars of good
music in a natural, well-poised and sympathetic voice,
without effort, without affectation, without tricks,
without exaggerationa, eithout hiatuses, without
hiccupping, without barking, without baa-ing - such a
singer is a rare, a very rare, an excessively very
rare bird." (Hector Berlioz - 1803.1869)

"A tenor is not a man but a disease." (Hans von Bülow,
att. - 1830.1894)

"The exercise of singing is delightful to nature and
good to preserve the hearlth of Man." (William Byrd -
1543.1623 - Psalms, Sonets and Songs)

"He who sings scares away his woes." (Miguel de
Cervantes - 1547.1616 - 'Don Quixote', 1605)

"Were there no women in the world, no women singers,
Iwould never have become a composer. They have been my
inspiration my whole life long." (Alexander
Sergeievitch Dargomizhsky - 1813.1869)

"Of things I'd rather keep in silence I must sing."
(Countess of Dis, troubador - bc 1140)

"The singing man keeps a shop in his throat." (George
Herbert - 1593.1633)

"The fault, common to all singers, is that when their
friends ask them to sing, they're never willing, b ut
when they're not asked they will never leave off."
(Horace - Quintus Horatius Flaccus, 65-8BC)

If you need more, let me know. I have a dictionary of
"Musical Quotations".

Camila.

=====

Camila Ribeiro
c_ribeiro78@y...

Singing is the most legitimate of arts; no one else can put in a touch with
brush or pensil for one - one must face it alone. (Lillian Nordica)

21960 Re: Irreverent quotesJohn Linkjohnlink010254 Thu  1/16/2003
emusic.com