Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Jan 14, 2003  9:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] REPERTOIRE: Voice and String Quartet

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Candace Magner wrote:

> Hello again Vocalisters, and Happy New Year.
>
> I have been searching for material (yes, even the Archives) to sing with
> string quartet. Of course there is the Barber "Dover Beach" for Baritone and
> SQ, there is Respighi "Il Tramonto" (has anyone done this? I have a
> recording with Renata Scotto I don't particularly like....) and I have found
> lots of very contemporary stuff by unknown (to me) composers.
>
> I am a soprano, but what all is out there that you have done or know?

For Soprano (or "High Voice") and String Quartet:

Giovanni Battista Pergolesi: Orfeo (with continuo)

Maria Barthelemon: Se pieta da voi non trovo

Virgil Thomson: Stabat Mater

Gabriel Faure: Nine Songs for Soprano and String Quartet; La bonne
chanson, Op. 61 (with piano)

Ernest Chausson: Chanson perpetuelle, Op. 37 (with piano)

Arnold Schoenberg: Streichquartett II (F sharp minor), Op. 10

Harrison Birtwistle: Four songs of autumn

Arthur Shepherd: Triptych

Alban Berg: Lyric Suite (versoin for soprano and string quartet)

Egon Wellesz: Sonette der Elizabeth Barrett-Browning (version for
soprano and string quartet)

Nino Rota: Il Presepio

Ernst Krenek: Zwei Zeitlieder, Op. 215

Johannes Brahms, transcr. Aribert Reimann: Ophelia-Lieder

Robert Schumann, transcr. Aribert Reimann: Sechs Gesaenge, Op. 107

Felix Mendelssohn, transcr. Aribert Reimann: "...oder soll es Tod
bedeuten?"

Franz Schubert, transcr. Aribert Reimann: Mignon-Lieder

Moisei Vainberg: Three Palm Trees, Op. 120

John Tavener: Akhmatova Songs; The World; Many Years

Michael Nyman: The Ballad of Kastriot Rexhepi; The Piano Sings (from
soundtrack for the film THE PIANO)

Karl Weigl: Five Songs for Soprano and String Quartet, Op. 40 (Weigl also
wrote three songs for alto and S.Q.)

John Harbison: On Awakening; The Rewaking

George Butterworth: Love Blows as the Wind Blows (1914 arr. for soprano
and string quartet)

Ralph Vaughan Williams: From Wenlock Edge (with piano)

Peter Warlock: My lady is a pretty one

Alberto Ginastera: String Quartet No. 5

Gian Carlo Menotti: Nocturne (with harp)

For Mezzo-Soprano (or "Medium Voice") and String Quartet:

Samuel Barber: Dover Beach, Op. 3

Ottorino Respighi: Il Tramonto

Arthur Honegger: Paques a New York

Gerald Finzi: By footpath and stile (written for baritone and S.Q.)

Eugene Goossens: Three Songs, Op. 26

Jack Beeson: A Creole Mystery

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html