Vocalist.org archive

From:  "James W. Glass" <jwglass@h...>
Date:  Tue Jan 14, 2003  5:32 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] How good is Julliard?

Re Christine's comment about undergraduate singers and stage opportunities,
one of my colleagues son is a grad student at Julliard, and was an
undergraduate pianist there also. He says that the students at our little
school (50 majors about 30 of them voice) with no grad program have many
more opportunities to sing in opera (and musical theater) than do the young
singers at Julliard. We had a soprano graduate last year who had sung
Despina, Edina and Amdahl in full productions as well numerous scene
appearances during her undergraduate years. We use a very small theater for
these productions so the young voices are not pushed, and I think that our
students are very well prepared to go to large graduate programs as many
have done. We also have very fine instructors, if NATS and other competition
results are any indication, so I think that Christine's points are well
made.
James Glass