Vocalist.org archive

From:  ivan gancedo <babanibus@y...>
Date:  Tue Jan 14, 2003  2:00 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Throat Trouble please help!!

I agree with Mel's teacher. I'm a 29 yo tenor. Untill
age 22 I sung with a grunge band and yelled my lungs
out! Not everybody that sings pop yells, I know; but
95% of pop singers have a very bellow level singing
technique, with the risks of damaging -for ever- their
vocal chords (rod stewart...). Old fashion popular
singers used to have better techniques (sinatra, anka,
elvis,...etc). They just singed (i mean sing, not
shout) with an open throat and a clear sound. My
personal experience was that I needed at least 6
months of vocalizations without singing at all untill
my chords started working better. Once I achieved
that, we kept on going. Once I realized all the damage
that improper singing could do to my vocal health I
never sung pop music again (that's just me!!!). You
can also try a symphonic pop stuff (queen, floyd..).
Though, I agree with Collin in the sense that with a
good vocal technique, you can sing both (if you play
classic piano or guitar, you'll be able to play blues,
jazz, pop, etc...but not the other way round!). To get
a good vocal technique, you must first get rid of all
your technical vices. Just a personal experience, and
a humble point of view.
Take care,

Babanibus.
At the risk of sounding a bit blunt, your teacher is