Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Mon Jan 13, 2003  8:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Elementary School Vocal Instruction

Michael,
You're right, the situation is a bit delicate. Do you and he already know
each other? How well does he take suggestion? I know I'm more open to
suggestion if I already feel valued and appriciated by the person giving
advice. Giving him the book "Teaching Kids to Sing" is a great idea, along
with a note telling him what an asset he is to the school. Of course, he
might not read it .. Perhaps he feels self-concious about this particular
weakness, and would like to correct it. Since you a singer, perhaps you
could do a workshop with his students. Perhaps you could give him voice
lessons. If you are enthusiastic and express a desire to support his
program, he'll love you. The trick is to not be condescending "I know more
than you" but helpful "I have this expertise (I can't spell!!), how can I
help."

Jean Marie Henderson

>From: Michael Gordon <chosdad@y...>
>To: vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [vocalist] Elementary School Vocal Instruction
>Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:39:11 -0800 (PST)
>
>Dear List:
>
>I am writing to ask advice. My son is in kindergarten, and attends an
>elementary school (K-5) divided into lower (K-2) and upper (3-5)
>classrooms. That is, K-2 kids are together in one large classroom that
>breaks down into smaller groups for various activities, and the grade
>3-5 kids are together in another separate classroom.
>
>The school has a music teacher who is a trumpet player and a nice man.
>He seems to teach the kids many interesting facts about music and sound
>and he brings in a different instrument each week to show the kids.
>The grade 3-5 kids receive instruction in the recorder, while the K-2
>kids do some singing.
>
>My concern is the singing. It would appear that the teacher has little
>to no background in singing or teaching singing. The few songs that
>they sing are in a low key, and the teacher encourages the kids to
>"stand straight" and "sing strongly." In December there was a holiday
>performance and I thought the singing was terrible - the kids were
>shouting and there was no unison to the pitches.
>
>I am not suggesting that very young kids be "trained" as singers - but
>I wish the teacher would not encourage the yelling and would find a way
>to have the children sing more in their "head voice" and more in tune.
>
>I would like to discuss my concerns about the kids singing with the
>school Principal, but would like to be able to offer some helpful
>suggestions. What advice do you have for me? Buy the music teacher a
>book - like Ken Phillips' "Teaching Kids to Sing"? Bring in another
>teacher for a few "special" visits and hope the regular teacher picks
>up a few tricks?
>
>Obviously there is a need for some sensitivy here. As I mentioned, the
>music teacher is a nice man and the kids like him, and he seems to be
>getting the kids interested in learning about different musical
>instruments. How can we help this teacher to improve his singing
>instruction to the kids, and what is a good approach to take when
>talking to the principal?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Michael Gordon

21917 Re: Elementary School Vocal InstructionMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Tue  1/14/2003