Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Christopher <leskayc@y...>
Date:  Mon Jan 13, 2003  6:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OFF: Public breast-feeding (was: Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors???!!!)

Man we are off topic!! But I have to get in this as I worked as a lactation
counselor during my RN days....
There are ways to do things tastefully and ways not to. While a nursing mom
doesn't phase me, I know that some people are uncomfortable with it. But I have
to say that unless you are blessed with watermelons, most nursing can be done
discreetly. I have nursed babies in every place imaginable and nobody was the
wiser----but I have seen moms who just seemed to want to make a statement and
that is, IMHO, uncalled for. The funniest was this:
In the middle of a formal church service in another of those EXTREMELY
conservative southern towns, the one yankee woman in the congregation decided to
breastfeed her toddler child, who apparently wasn't the least bit interested.
She got the kid to latch on just long enough to get the milk going, then the kid
(who was old enough to walk) decides to let go and jump off her mother's lap.
This leaves a breast exposed and a stream of milk that shot out and hit the man
in the pew in front of them on the back of his bald head. The view from the
choir loft was hysterical.
Hey-this could start a new thread: The view from The Loft--or things you see
when you aren't paying attention to the sermon......!
Leslie

emusic.com