Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Mon Jan 13, 2003  3:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OFF: Public breast-feeding (was: Did Somebody Mention Counter-Tenors???!!!)

Hi, Susan!
I sent Karen a private message that explained the counter-tenor, whom we'll call
"David Yorkshire" and his wife were very liberal folk stuck in a most
conservative Southern US parish. The couple had 2 young sons, both of whom were
breast fed. I noted the wife's voice DID improve, by the way.
Both singers sat in my church choir alto section and when the wife nursed a HUGE
handkerchief was placed over her and baby and nobody could see the action going
on! Single or married with children, I can see both sides of the coin here. It
was a bit distracting, but because of their vocal contribution to the choir it
didn't phase me one iota! (I kept reminding myself that Madame Schumann-Heink
did this offstage at the Met around the turn of the century, too!) These two
singers have since, by the way, divorced, moved to different states and more
liberal parishes. He still sings counter-tenor and she still sings alto! There
is alot of unfortunate homophobia directed at the counter-tenor classification,
I believe, to a greater degree than any other vocal classification and this is
unfortunate. I can think of nothing worse than being a counter-tenor singing to
an ocean of Bubbas!
In choral settings we deal with all manner of distractions that are "memorable"
for decades to us! This one was one of MANY!! I had an alto who had epileptic
seizures in church services and rehearsals. I had an unknown singer who
blistered the varnish off of a choir loft pew in a heavily miked choir loft
during the Pastor's prayer RIGHT at the END of a sentence! I once had a
mezzo-soprano soloist crack up laughing at a funeral she was singing for. She
saw a floral wreath with a toy telephone "off the hook" on it that read "Jesus
Has Called"!! I forgave her. The family DIDN'T!!
Not since 1982, tho, have I had open nursing in my Choir Loft!
Ed

SMSchneider <smschneider23@r...> wrote:Dearest Karen,

Please know I write this with love, admiration and bemusement, and some
ambivalence on my part about whether or not I agree with you!!)

You don't have any kids, do you?

Susan (a militant public breastfeeder who was aware of the etiquette issues
and felt a little awkward but did it anyway)