Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Thu Jan 9, 2003  1:25 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Throat Trouble please help!!

At the risk of sounding a bit blunt, your teacher is talking nonsense.
The actual style of music per se that you're singing will not make you sing
correctly or incorrectly. You have to do that. You can sing opera unhealthily,
and you can sing pop healthily just as much as the other way around. If
you learn a good vocal technique then you should be able to apply it to
whatever music you want to sing. Of course, if you insist on stylistic
effects such as Britney Spears' excessive use of vocal fry, or Christine
Aguilera's excrutiating squealing then you will probably do some lasting
damage.

Regards

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK

" <aj_kix@h...
>Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:58:59 -0000
>Subject: [vocalist] Throat Trouble please help!!
>

>Hey guys, im new here! Im 16, and taking lessons from an opera
>singer. shes pretty well known, and she doesnt like pop music. well i
>LOVE pop and rock and thats what me and my group sing. were a girl
>pop group. but she said in order for my throat to stop hurting i have
>to stop singing pop completely for a long time and learn more
>classical or something. i never really opened my throat, and when i
>did i had it like i was yawning the whole time! And it felt pretty
>good. it didnt hurt for a long time, and shes still telling me not to
>sing pop. what should i do!?
>thanks a lot!:)
>
>Mel

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21896 Re: Throat Trouble please help!!ivan gancedobabanibus Tue  1/14/2003
emusic.com