Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Jan 9, 2003  1:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice Trouble

From what you've described, it may be that you're singing mainly in your
"head" register, so that when you try to sing lower notes, you lose any of
the power that you would gain by moving into "chest". I can understand
why you might be timid about doing this, as it sounds like in your past
life you used to sing entirely in chest - and thus had no upper register.

What you and your teacher clearly need to work on is how you can safely
begin to integrate your chest voice back into your overall voice without
"undoing" the progress you've made discovering how to use your head voice.

There is, of course, that "middle" register, which I suspect you already
use. Adding chest in will, of course, entail being able to move smoothly
from middle to chest and back, without having the "break" (or lower
passagio) sound noticeable. Moving from chest to middle to head and back
is one of the technical challenges all singers face, and I would suggest
you talk to your teacher about beginning to work in your lower middle
register, with "forays" down into chest - both through exercises, and
through some repertoire.

It's also important that you think about the voice as an integrated whole.
It is always true that if you concentrate in one register (e.g.,
high/head), the other registers will seem to "suffer" a little. That's why
it's important to continue to work - exercises and repertoire - throughout
the entire vocal range on a regular basis. On the other hand, there will
always be times that you need to focus on a particular technical issue
at the expense of other technical issues. To this point, it seems, you're
big focus has been on freeing up your upper register. The next "issue"
will be now integrating that with the chest register that you already had
a good handle on before discovering your true voice.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
One must be something if one
wishes to put on appearances.