Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...&MWdWO0OZ17wiDRkpjpQODUTCA>chosdad@y...
Date:  Thu Jan 9, 2003  4:25 am
Subject:  Vocal Classification, was Re: Question

Corinna:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, livinnlovinit@a... wrote:
> Can someone explain to me the difference between a mezzo, spinto,
and lyric
> soprano...then maybe I can figure out which I am. Thanks!
Welcome to the list, and thanks for introducing yourself.

Spinto versus lyric soprano versus mezzo - I doubt it is worthwhile
to attempt to determine. Since you are 15, you are a young woman
whose voice will continue to mature, and the distinctions between
these categories should not matter.

The whole issue of vocal classification comes up over and over since
we want to have "labels", but we are all individuals, and one must
sing what is comfortable and suitable for one's voice and
personality. For whatever kind of music you want to perform, you
will see what fits you best by trial and error, in my opinion.

Some say voice classification is primarily by vocal color, others say
by comfortable range (tessitura), etc. etc. However, it does not
make any sense to me to call someone an "x" if they are not
comfortable singing it, though.

To briefly answer, and I am not known as a authoritative opinion on
opera ;) - various categories of soprano distinguish
generally "heavier" from "lighter" voices - confusing since some
light voices are big.

I believe the soprano classification goes (light to heavy) leggiero,
lyric, lyrico-spinto, spinto, dramatic, wagnerian.

A "mezzo" is a female voice that is usually thought of as having a
warmer color and prefering a somewhat lower "tessitura" (comfortable)
range - just like the difference between a baritone and a tenor.
There are various flavors of mezzo voices too, from light to dramatic.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

emusic.com