Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Sat Jan 4, 2003  11:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] circular breathing

Craig, Burnaby BC wrote:

>Circular breathing is one of the "extended" vocal techniques that some
>composers require performers to use. It involves phonating on inhalation
>(this same concept is occasionally used in voice therapy as well).

Oh, THAT! Why would anyone call it "circular" breathing? Unklike with
what wind players do when they use circular breathing, I don't see
any circle of air flow, just an in and out.

>... Needless to say, after the premier at Expo 86 and the subsequent
>recording, we vowed never to do the piece again as it was just too
>stressful.

In my Feldenkrais classes I often teach lessons that involve making
sound (counting or humming). Once in a while someone asks whether to
make the sound while exhaling or inhaling. I tell them that they will
definitely not want to do it while inhaling, becasue it (here I start
speaking while inhaling) sounds like this and it feels as bad as it
sounds.

No, that is NOT circular breathing! Suggest that it is to wind
players and they may lower their opinion of singers.

John Link

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink

emusic.com