Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Sat Jan 4, 2003  11:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Teacher-Student Written Contract Question

I have my students pay for 5 lessons at a time. I was offering an option of 10
and discounting it, but more and more of my students were paying for 5, and I
found keeping track of who was at #5 of 5 and who was at #5 of 10 to be a little
confusing, especially for those who had switched from 10 to 5. (Interesting
economic indicator, I think.)

If someone forgets to come and they haven't paid, getting money out of them is
like pulling teeth. And you don't forget it, either, which doesn't make for a
good teacher-student relationship - the trust isn't there. When they've paid
for it already, they're more aware of cancelling within the time frame
established, showing up, or accepting that they screwed up and paying for the
time. It's been a MUCH better plan for me. I have a policy sheet, although I
don't have them sign it and return it to me. Perhaps I should, but right now,
things are fine this way.

Christine Thomas,
Mezzo Soprano

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a!"