Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Jan 4, 2003  1:36 am
Subject:  Re: Mezzos and contraltos (was: Re: [vocalist] I Need To Be Enlightened On T...

In a message dated 1/3/2003 8:30:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> The concept of many
> various fachs or types of singers is a modern concept that was not a
> part of the considerations during the 18th and most of the 19th
> centuries. Most singers were trained to have ranges that are much
> longer than is expected of modern singers.

lloyd,

it seems to me that the literature before verdi, at least for lower
voiced males, does not, in general, demand such. if anything, the
literature from verdi on seems to demand more facility in the upper range.
so, i am puzzled as to why these pre-verdian singers would be required to
train longer ranges.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21741 Re: Mezzos and contraltos (was: Re: [vocalist] I Need To Be EnlighteLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Sat  1/4/2003
21743 Re: Mezzos and contraltos (was: Re: [vocalist] I Need To Be EnlighteKaren Mercedessingwiththespirit Sat  1/4/2003
21742 Re: Mezzos and contraltos (was: Re: [vocalist] I Need To Be EnlighteGreypins@a...greypins Sat  1/4/2003
21745 Re: Mezzos and contraltos (was: Re: [vocalist] I Need To Be EnlighteKaren Mercedessingwiththespirit Sat  1/4/2003
21747 Re: Mezzos and contraltos (was: Re: [vocalist] I Need To Be EnlighteGreypins@a...greypins Sat  1/4/2003
emusic.com