Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Jan 3, 2003  9:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] I Need To Be Enlightened On This...

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:21:28 -0800 (PST) Edward Norton
<belcantist2003@y...> wrote:
> The book was "Greatest Stars of the Opera:The
> Lives and Voices of Two Hundred Golden Years"
> by Enrico Stinchelli.
> The author referred to Dame Clara Butt,
> Ernestine Schumann-Heink and Louise Homer as
> "mezzo-sopranos" and Marilyn Horne, whom I've
> observed on three occasions, was referred to as
> as "contralto d'agilita"!
He also
> added that Kathleen Ferrier was very lovely in
> the concert in which he'd seen and heard her.
> Denyce Graves was referred to as a "colored
> mezzo". > Does anyone have any skinny on Enrico
> Stinchelli?

I can't say that I have, but given his name, perhaps the work was written
originally in Italian, and some clueless non-English speaker did a very bad
job of translation. Did you notice any such background behind the title page?

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com