Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michelle <drama_diva_au@y...
Date:  Fri Jan 3, 2003  3:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Teacher-Student Written Contract Question

Hey Ed, Welcome.

You ask an important question. First off, if you don't belong to a
professional association like ANATS or a local music teachers
association then join one. Pronto. It really helps to be part of a
professional community working toward a common goal for many
different reasons. Even if only to have an idea of what everyone else
is charging and get a feel for the standard of professional behaviour
expected by your colleagues and general public alike.(And it looks
good on your resume!LOL)

I have been a HOPELESS bussinesswoman and have probably lost more
money than I ought because of my own failings over the years. It is
of course not too late and I am definitely changing my ways with all
new students this year.

I did a small business course a couple of years back and now firmly
believe the only way to survive is to approach your teaching in the
most businesslike fashion possible. (And incidentally so probably
does the taxman worldwide also.)

So my advice, for what it's worth, would be definitely print up a
contract or some kind of document of terms and agreements. That way
everyone knows where they stand, students are less likely to "try it
on" for no good reason and you don't lose out big time in the long
run.

I have always been acutely aware of how difficult it is for students
to pay a whole terms fees up front yada yada yada, and have charged
by the weekly lesson. What a mistake! There is no point in being a
pussy cat when you have to put a roof over your head and food on he
table. There are ways and means of making it flexible for those who
can't come up with a lump sum. Being a teacher is one thing. Getting
the payments due requires being something other than a teacher and
you have to learn to do both from day one. So yes, by all means,
organise your time into terms or semesters or whatever. They can
follow the school year, the Uni year, whatever works best for you.
Keep time aside for make up lessons. (One teacher I had, had a list
of names and contact numbers of all her students who agreed to it, up
in the waiting room. That way if we had to miss a lesson for illness
or whatever, we could arrange with other students to swap lessons for
that week, or wherever possible, within reason. This system worked
really well for all concerned.) Plan for holidays, YOUR holidays, and
make sure you take them, etc, etc, etc.

I understand quirky traditions, I live in Australia's answer to
America's "Deep South" LOL. Nonetheless, increasingly in many areas,
business is business, and so is part of our work. You need to be able
to rely on your income as much as possible and following the basic
rules of running a small business, writing your own charter to suit
yourself of course, for my money is the only way to go.

I learnt the hard way that some students are all too willing to leave
you high and dry for no better reason than their own capriciousness.
Better to know where you stand. Less messy all round.

I'm sure there'll be some good advice from other vocalisters as well.
Maybe even someone closer to home.

Best of Luck

Michelle

emusic.com