Vocalist.org archive

From:  Debra Johnson <debbiejo53142@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 2, 2003  4:31 pm
Subject:  Re: Grieg suggestions:

Lloyd Hansen wrote:

Although Grieg's early songs were written in German
because he was studying in Germany, all of the rest of
his ouvre is in Norwegian which is mostly different
from the Danish.

-- -- --

That poses something of a problem for me in that
"Vaaren" is written in Norwegian, or in one of its
dialects, whereas the others are actually written in
Danish. I take it you feel, then, that it is more
appropriate to sing the songs written in Danish in
Norwegian?

(I speak Danish and Swedish, but not Norwegian,
although I've made a pass at it in Vaaren -- perhaps I
shld limit my repertory for the songs written in
Danish).

best,

Deb.

21703 Re: Grieg suggestions:Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Thu  1/2/2003
emusic.com