Vocalist.org archive

From:  Debra Johnson <debbiejo53142@y...>
Date:  Tue Dec 31, 2002  3:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Grieg suggestions

>For both your sopranos, I urge you to investigate
some >of the beautiful songs by Grieg. Again, a
diction >challenge, as these are mainly in Swedish
>I'm particularly fond of: Med en vandlilje (With a
>water-lily), Varen (Spring), Det Syng (The Singing),
>Ved gjaetle-bekken (At the brookside), and of course
>Grieg's most famous lied, Jeg elsker dig (I love
you).

Actually, "Med en Vandlilje" and "Jeg elsker dig" are
Danish, but could be sung with a Norwegian accent.
"Vaaren" and "gjaetle-bekken" are Norwegian. None are
Swedish as far as I know. Although Swedish may sound a
little like Norwegian the languages are pronounced
differently. And Danish is pronounced very differently
(oddly enough, it happens to be a lovely language to
sing in). I also love the recording by Anne Sofie von
Otter.

best,

Deb. Johnson

21687 Re: Grieg suggestionsLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  1/1/2003

emusic.com