Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Sat Dec 28, 2002  5:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] lullabies & meter

Max Reger's "Maria Wiegenlied" switches between 6/8 & 9/8. I know, I just
sang it for Xmas Eve service. I presume this is the same one that Karen
referred to in her post. It comes together quite quickly in English. I
would have needed more time to put it together if I sang it in German.

Pat

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:38:37 -0500 Naomi Gurt Lind
<naomi@n...> writes:
> John Link asked, about "Summertime" from Porgy & Bess:
>
> >Is this a lullabye? What constitutes a lullabye, anyway? I've
> thought
> >that it had to be in a triple meter. Is that necessary?
>
> Hm. Never thought about it. True, the famous Brahms Lullaby is in
>
> 3, but then again the *other* famous Brahms Lullaby (Geistliches
> Wiegenlied, from the viola songs) is in 4. The short answer, then,
>
> is that lullabies don't have to be in triple meter. It's not like a
>
> march, which has to be in a duple meter or else the soldiers would
> trip over their feet. (A pacifist's march might be in 3!) I guess
>
> rocking a baby to sleep doesn't have to be in a particular meter...
>
> Naomi Gurt Lind
>
> P.S. Yes, "Summertime" is regarded as a lullaby. What qualifies it
>
> as such? In the opera, Clara sings it to her baby.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

emusic.com