Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Thu Dec 26, 2002  9:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal Elimination BEST Software or Hardware?

barbjrose@a... wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for the BEST vocal elimination
>software/hardware/audio devices?

The problem with even the professional $5,000 vocal eliminators is that
when the voice frequencies are pulled out so is all the orchestration
that matches the voice frequency. The less costly voice eliminators
sample the two vocal tracks in a stereo recording and when they emit the
same frequencies, cancel them. At best, all you hear is a slight vocal,
way in the background, unless the is reverb on the voice which negates
any vocal elimination.

I would suggest you either use/purchase the "bed" from the original mix
(the music without the voice) or use a MIDI file of orchestration only.
Most record companies/labels have "beds" available of their album which
you can buy. If you can't find them in stores you can write to the
label and ask how to purchase the "bed."

EPI Records maintains a library of "beds" we use or have used in our
album releases. Samplings of them are available at
http://www.newenglandtalent.org/TC/music.html. If you want a particular
"bed" send us an email and we'll see if we have it in our files.

Dr Dean

emusic.com