Vocalist.org archive

From:  Andrea Soto Véres <andreasotoveres@h...>
Date:  Thu Dec 19, 2002  10:39 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: tone-deaf?

Thank you very much for the advice!!

I will try...

Andrea.

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>
> > Begin by your matching tones to his that you ask him to sing. Do
this
> > first with just single tones, then with two or three-note
patterns. If this is successful, I'm not sure how you would proceed
further.

> +++
>
> Before I try any pitch matching at all, I help the student learn to
identify high, medium, and low areas (ranges) within his/her own
voice and get comfortable producing non-specific pitches in each area
on demand. This seems to help them sort it all out and get more
sophisticated with their ear/voice coordination. From there we work
on specific pitch matching -- first I match them, and then they match
me (or the piano, whichever works best). Gradually we progress to
pitch patterns, and finally easy, familiar songs like Happy Birthday
or Row Your Boat.

> ---
> Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
> 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> 901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
> dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu