Vocalist.org archive

From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Thu Dec 19, 2002  6:21 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]Too Many Low Notes--belated thanks

Dear John, John, mike, Michael and list,

Thank you all who so generously responded to my search for wisdom. As is so
often true, engaging in all the repartee forced me to critically review my
technique when trying to sing in a melee of heavier voices in church choir.
Michael's post spurred me to review RM's descriptions of registration in the
tenor voice with "chest mix" G3-C#4, and "head mix" C#4/D4-G4. It's in this
"chest mix" register that I suspect I'm trying to get a little more bite in
my voice by pressing (I know--it's a no-no). The consequent vocal fatigue
is what makes it so hard to then find the "head mix" register. Somehow, I
have to avoid getting drawn into trying to sing heavier than I am physically
capable and stay very bright and forward.. Maybe an earplug might help?
(Grist for the mill)

In any case, I'm relieved of the problem for a little while. We
("Camerata") are in dress rehearsals for our upcoming Christmas offering Dec
20-22 ("And the Angels Sang", so I've been excused from church choir until
the Vigil.

GWendel, tenor

emusic.com