Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Dec 18, 2002  11:03 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Swallowing

I don't think it's reflux. I have never seen this behavior associated
with reflux and I see a LOT of reflux.

Post nasal drip is certainly a possibility. Sometimes stuff just gets
stuck in the nasopharynx and the person feels the need to clear it
especially if she is trying to elevate her palate properly. Does she do
it when she is speaking? If not, it may be mucus.

I have not heard of it in a child, but she could have a Tornwaldt cyst
in her nasopharynx which would give her the sense of something needing
to be cleared out.

If she does it at other times, it may be a tic which may or may not be
associated with Tourette's syndrome. It could be a simple compulsion.
We see compulsive disorders in mid to late adolescents when they are not
associated with Tourette's or other psychologic dysfunctions.

She could also have spasticity of her hypopharynx. Usually this is
associated with vocal problems such as hoarseness/dysphonia. If her
voice is OK, it's probably not that. Some people have mild spasm of the
cricopharyngeus muscle which causes the "lump in the throat" sensation.
However, there is often a problem with swallowing function with this
also.

That's about all I can think of. She should see her doctor.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21593 Re: SwallowingJodie Bean bean2871_2000 Fri  12/20/2002

emusic.com