Vocalist.org archive

From:  Andrea Soto Véres <andreasotoveres@h...>
Date:  Wed Dec 18, 2002  8:19 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: tone-deaf?

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, John Link <johnlink@n...>
wrote:
> Can he recognize that he has been asked a question if the sentence
is
> not inverted? For example, if "You're going to the store?" is said
> with a rising pitch at the end, can he recognize it as a question?
Is
> he able to ask a question in this way?
>
> If the answers to those questions is "no", then I think he might be
> tone-deaf. But I would _still wonder whether he might be able to
> improve his ability to recognize the difference between pitches.

Yes, he can do that... He can also recognize veeeeeery known tunes
like Happy Birthday, but if we go to something more "complicated"
that he, of course, knows, like tunes of songs of Bruce Springsteen,
he does not recognize them if I don't sing the words, although he
knows all the songs by heart...
What I see is that what he cannot do is to "imitate" a note, that is,
if I sing a note, whichever, he cannot repeat it. Not even an
approximation of half tone or so...

> Andrea, are you anywhere near New York? I would very much welcome
> working with anyone that seems to be tone deaf and would like to
> increase their ability to perceive differences in pitch. There may
be
> some people who are absolutely tone-deaf, but I suspect that most
> people with difficulties in distinguishing pitches have latent
> ability that can be developed with the appropriate sorts of
lessons.

For our disgrace, we live in Belgium... quite the other side!!!

> If you're not near New York, would you record the two of you having
> conversation? I'd like to hear your boyfriend speaking. You could
> post the recording in our files section at yahoo if you can figure
> out how to do that, or just send me a copy.

I could send you a copy of une recorded conversation (in English, I
guess that would be better...), as I have no idea of how to post it
in the Internet... You can send me a private mail with your postal
address to my inbox, as I think my address is in my Yahoo profile...

And, may I suggest you to have a look to www.wilfart.com? Is the
website of the singing method I follow, with Mr. Serge Wilfart and,
as I told you, is based, inter alia, in the Feldenkrais Method, as it
also uses "positions" in order to remove the body obstacles and free
the voice, and considers breathing as the basic, main and
mostimportant element of singing, speaking and being. You can always
contact Serge for any question you may have...

> Andrea, can your boyfriend distinguish "many" and "money" outside
the
> context of a sentence?

I will try this as well...

Cheers!!

Andrea.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21553 Re: tone-deaf?John Link johnlink010254 Wed  12/18/2002
21554 Re: tone-deaf?Andrea Soto Véres andreasotoveres Wed  12/18/2002

emusic.com