Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Sun Dec 15, 2002  3:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: tone-deaf?

Michelle Albert wrote:

>First off, Congratulations Emily on achieving your masters in voice and best of
luck with your future aspirations.

>Your question was, >>> is there such a thing as "tone deaf"?<<<
>
>I think there is such a thing as tone deafness and there are other
professionals better equipped to deal with it than singing teachers. And true
tone deafness, like colour blindness is not "curable", rare though it may be.
(If it can happen after a head injury then surely you can be born with it too.)

>What have other's experiences been?

Michelle, I have had similar experiences with "tone deaf" (ahem) kids
and thinking I could get past any difficulty in a kids singing desires.
I used to figure that if a kid wanted to sing bad enough he/she could
accomplish it as if by magic. And I was sure I had the talent to help
them to learn. (Wrong!!!) I even put everything I had including time
into a totally deaf girl who wanted to learn to sing. I would never
repeat that one. The frustration was much too much. I nearly quit
teaching I was so discouraged. But then I decided upon auditions. If
kids wanted me to work with them then they had to audition. If they
failed the audition (couldn't carry a tune in a bushel basket) I refused
to take them. And if I did take them, if they did not practice between
lessons, with warnings naturally, I would ask them to find another
teacher. Since I have now been training kids who want to sing
professionally, their auditions are intense, and I will not take them if
they don't pass all three. And even then I have problems. I just
returned today from one 11 year old who made it all the way through the
audition process, who had a great desire to be the best singer she could
be. I have been working with her for two months (3 hour sessions once
per week) and, as her mother said to me, "A----'s voice has improved so
much. I can't believe she has come this far in this short a time." Then
she called me a miracle worker. I'm not, of course. I just give then
the right tools and they apply them. A---- told me today that her
friends tell her, her voice has changed and so she recorded herself
singing and said that her voice isn't hers anymore. Her mom and I tried
to tell her that puberty does funny things to voices and changes them.
I told her that her voice will change many times between now and 21
with or without vocal training. But now she's not sure she wants to
continue. We left it up to her to make a committment. She has a
tremendous amount of talent. I'd hate to see her give up because of a
few remarks by "friends."

Any other experiences?

Dr Dean

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21502 11 year old friend's critiquesEdgewoodVoiceStudio edgewoodvoicestudio Mon  12/16/2002
21623 Re: 11 year old friend's critiquesnorma bowen singerteacher85 Thu  12/26/2002

emusic.com