Vocalist.org archive

From:  emily0813@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 13, 2002  1:44 pm
Subject:  tone-deaf?

Hi all,

I'll quickly reintroduce myself before I ask my question:

My name is Emily, and I've lurked at Vocalist off and on for the past 6 or 7
years, maybe even longer. In a week I'll be graduating with my Master's in
voice, which has taken me about 5 years (took time off and then changed
schools.) I have no real significant post-graduation plans... I applied for
some Young Artist Programs but couldn't even get auditions because there were
too many applicants. I'm sure it has everything to do with sending in my
applications at the last possible moment, but it is disheartening,
nonetheless. In the meantime, I enjoy teaching privately and singing solo in
an Episcopal church.

So, my question: is there such a thing as "tone deaf"? I have a young
student... I'm not sure of her exact age, but she's in the 11-13 age
bracket... and she amazes me because I've never heard someone sing
"in-between" pitches so consistently. I'm fairly certain that in her case
it's just an utter lack of coordination, but I'm wondering the best way to
help her. I've had about 3 or 4 lessons with her, and, of course, by the end
of the lesson we make huge strides, only to lose it again by the next lesson.
She can sing relatively accurately from about middle C to the G above it, but
beyond that, every note is basically the same. I find that if I demonstrate
for her, and have her "echo" me, she does pretty well. I'm wondering if I
should take it a step further and sing with her, or if that will just create
a crutch? Do you think a person can truly be tone-deaf or is that sort of
problem more likely a misunderstanding of how to use one's voice?
Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome!
Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Emily

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21497 Re: tone-deaf?Michelle Albert drama_diva_au Sun  12/15/2002
21504 Re: tone-deaf?Colin Reed colin_reeduk Mon  12/16/2002
21506 Re: tone-deaf?Lloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Mon  12/16/2002
21507 Re: tone-deaf?Andrea Soto Véres andreasotoveres Mon  12/16/2002
21509 Re: tone-deaf?John Link johnlink010254 Mon  12/16/2002
21526 Re: tone-deaf?Andrea Soto Véres andreasotoveres Tue  12/17/2002
21535 Re: tone-deaf?John Link johnlink010254 Tue  12/17/2002
21546 Re: tone-deaf?Andrea Soto Véres andreasotoveres Wed  12/18/2002
21553 Re: tone-deaf?John Link johnlink010254 Wed  12/18/2002

emusic.com