Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Thu Dec 12, 2002  2:34 pm
Subject:  re: lack of vibrato

L wrote:

>I have been singing for only a few years and am a 30 y.o. with lyric
>soprano qualities to my voice but only occasionally do I sing with
>any vibrato. I am looking for suggestions on areas to begin looking
>for tensions that may be inhibiting vibrato. I do have a sense that
>somehow I am "controlling" the voice thus not allowing vibrato to be
>produced. The times I have sung with vibrato I haven't trusted that
>it wasn't "put" there somehow, in other words not natural.

You're probably right that tension is interfering with the appearance
of vibrato. It's my experience that tension acts as an anesthesia to
itself -- but once I become aware of it, it's much easier to unlock.
You might consider taking some Alexander Technique or Feldenkrais
lessons. Both of these techniques deal in body awareness. I have
experience with Alexander (fellow list member John Link has extensive
experience with Feldenkrais) and can say unequivocally that this work
is what put my voice technique over the top in terms of dealing with
lingering problems.

Good luck!
Naomi Gurt Lind

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date