Vocalist.org archive

From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Thu Dec 12, 2002  5:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Chest to Mix, was Re: Too Many Low Notes

At 08:35 AM 12/11/02 -0000, Michael <chosdad@y...> wrote:
>... I suppose if you are in the Chicago area someday you
>could arrange a lesson with Randy!

I'd like that. Besides, I have a thing about lava lamps.

>If I understood correctly, you don't like to hang around your lower
>register much because you have trouble "staying in mix", and you can
>stay in mix down to about B3 or so. If that means you don't like to
>sing much lower than B3, than your voice is being weighted very much on
>the light side, almost like a counter-tenor.

Actually, my teacher once asked me if I wanted to train as a countertenor;
but he was just kidding (I think)
.
>.... Just out of curiousity, what pitch would be the
>"center" (if you can imagine such a thing) of your speaking voice if
>placed in a relaxed but resonant range (so not scraping the bottom)?

At the piano...my normal speak voice seems to be around F#3-G3, and
occasionally rising to B-C4 when I get excited. When I'm very tired and
especially if I'm sad, my speaking voice drops to as low as C3-D3.

>I am inclined to guess, (and take it with a grain of salt!) that your
>voice would be freer and work better if you found a way to really go
>into chest voice for the low notes rather than remain in mix.

Isabelle!! He's not listening to me! I do go into pure chest on my low
notes. Can't do else below A3. The tenor line in the church hymnal is D3
to D4, with most notes F3-C4 (translates to boring and tiring). I asked the
director about more octavo music but she doesn't think the choir is ready.

>On the other hand, I understand that there are different ways to think
>about chest voice, and one can hit a lower note with a certain buoyancy
>and a feeling of the upper voice, rather than pressing down on it. For
>me, there is a mini-break around G3, just below where you describe, and
>in Richard Miller's tenor book that note is the start of "lower middle
>voice" - still the chest voice but with the beginning of a bit of head
>resonance and a sense of mix. So perhaps the "mix" you refer to is
>this "chest mix" below the passagio, as opposed to the "head mix" in
>the passagio.

At last! Thanks.

GWendel

emusic.com