Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anthony Howden <antnee1027@y...>
Date:  Wed Dec 11, 2002  4:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Too many low notes?

hi again... Man i am posting alot. Can someone tell me how a baritone can sound
more tenor-like in his upper range. I am thinking to sing lighter in my mix and
as I travel to head voice. I am afraid that my sound will be too Falsetto-like.
I would like it too sound as if my chest voice is that high.
Thank you
Anthony
"Michael <chosdad@y...> wrote:Dear GWendel and List:

I am enjoying this thread since the perspective is so different from
mine. I have a highish voice - reliable low is only a few notes
below C3 (tenor low C), and I just love to sing in my lower range and
never tire doing so - there's not much volume or resonance down low,
but it's not uncomfortable. That's not to say that no part is too
low for me, but in general choral bass sits fine with me if I am
willing to skip singing a few occasional low pitches.

I sense GWendel is resistant to suggestions regarding his singing
technique (e.g., that low notes shouldn't be in a mix), and since we
can't hear him we might be off base anyway. So here are some purely
practical suggestions:

1) Decide to declare some pitch as your lowest practical pitch for
choral purposes - it could be fairly high initially - say D3, less
than an octave below middle C.
After a while you can experiment with lowering this "low boundary".
Think of this note as kind of like a "no fly zone" - if a pitch in
the music is lower than that, simply don't sing it - you can move
your lips and pretend to sing.

2) I think you are associating low pitches with a particular vocal
color, and attempting to "sound" baritonal or bassy (sp?) down low.
Give up those thoughts. Tenors have the right to sing in the lower
part of their range, so sing your low notes as you imagine a tenor
would, and don't try to change your color to match the
basses/baritones. If the music is SAB, imagine that the composer has
written the music as SATB but with the tenors unison with the basses,
but with tenors expected to drop out below some pitch (see 1 above).

3) Discuss the issue with your teacher. Explore the idea of
strengthening your lower range not in the sense of extending down the
range, but of improving your comfort and freedom within the
reasonable low range of a tenor. Unless your voice is quite unusual,
I would think a tenor would have comfort singing at least down to D3
(which is above "tenor" low C - C3). It has been my experience that
freeing up the chest register actually helps the upper range. Again,
I am not telling you to try and "become" a baritone or improve how
low you can go, only to be come more comfortable within the lower
part of your own voice, with appropriate limits.

4) Another possibility would be to "part hop" - switching between say
the tenor and alto part for a few measures when the tenor part goes
too low.

Good luck, and thanks for the thread.

Cheers,

Michael

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21431 Re: Too many low notes?John Link johnlink010254 Wed  12/11/2002
21434 Acceptance, was Re: [vocalist] Too many low notes?Michael <chosdad@y...> chosdad Wed  12/11/2002

emusic.com