Vocalist.org archive

From:  LikeSoMuchFish@a...
Date:  Mon Jun 5, 2000  4:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] crossing over

I think the greatest example of cross-over opera singers is Eilleen Farrell.
She achieved acclaim in both opera and jazz and most amazingly did it
simultaneously in her career.
Dawn Upshaw is another example. Her recording of show music is phenomenal.
Like Farrell she has the rare ability to change her voice by adjusting her
technique to fit the material.
On a note at the other end of the scale, Frederika Von Stade not so long ago
starred as Desiree in a production of A Little Night Music. She did not
adjust to the material, which in my opinion made for an awful rendition of
Send In The Clowns. ( I do not believe this production is available as
recording)

As for Terfel, he has done theatre. Actually, he was set to star as Sweeney
opposite Patty Lupone in the recent Lincoln Center Concerts of Sweeney Todd.
Unfortunately, he experienced physical problems which led to the 11th hour
replacement of George Hearn.

:jc

emusic.com