Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anthony Howden <antnee1027@y...>
Date:  Tue Dec 10, 2002  4:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voice

wow that explains alot... my voice teacher told me I had a nice voice but it was
throaty. I have never really thought about until this post. I played the
clarinet for 8 yrs and then I started to take up singing. I have always sang
with my throat and never learned to use my diaphragm. My tone was so far back
and there wasn't any brightness to it. Is it true that this brightness is what
is need to sing higher notes. When I sing in a kid like voice I can hit high
notes easier but it doesn't sound as mature as my lower range. I am a
bass-baritone and I can hit two octaves below middle C to G above middle C. With
the kiddie voice I can go up to about a C-D an octave above. My head voice or
whatever voice after that goes to an A above the staff. I can produce some
whistle tones to the A above high soprano C. So... i need a good way to connect
it all, if possible. I think that mixing the head voice and the chest voice is
the best way to go? Any thoughts
thanks
anthony
Amanda Kelley <mandasings@y...> wrote:
I was also a clarinet player before becoming a vocalist, but, I do believe my
problem when making the transition was not that I was over-opening my throat.
Rather, my problem now is that I tend to close off my throat. Clarinet players
tend to focus the sound by creating a very small passage way for air through the
throat and mouth. I do very basic onset exercises with my teacher, relearning
what it is like to make sound without throat tension.
kriswrite@a... wrote:Thank you once again to everyone who replied.

Jean Marie, your insights were particularly helpful. I, too, was once a
clarinet player--but I'd been singing for many years before I picked up the
instrument, and never had any troubles separating the two breathing systems.
But, I suspected my student's clarinet playing might have something to do
with her issues when she found it easier to sit and sing.

How did you overcome the wide-open throat problem? ("One's throat has to
be open to a greater degree when playing clarinet, but if you tried to sing
that way, you'd get a back, throaty tone.")

Thanks again,
Kristina

emusic.com